From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-sources - should we stable?
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 18:10:39
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 02/01/15 12:25 PM, Mike Pagano wrote:
5 > Hello, Everyone,
6 >
7 > Are there solid arguments for stabilizing any version of
8 > gentoo-sources? I think the valid arguments for not stabilizing
9 > gentoo-sources can be garnered from the thread about not
10 > stabilizing vanilla-sources[1].
11 >
12 > This is in no way complaining about how long it takes to stabilize
13 > a kernel. It's just a fact that by the time we do stabilizing one,
14 > there might be many, many kernel versions released for that 3.X
15 > branch that contains security fixes for which the stable version
16 > will not have. Kernel versions are coming out 1-2 a week at this
17 > point.
18 >
19 > I feel we are giving users a false sense of security, and maybe it
20 > would be better for them to upgrade faster than they are doing now
21 > if they are only using stable kernels.
22 >
23 > Having stable kernels around keeps me from deleting these old,
24 > potentially vulnerable releases.[2]
25 >
26 > Mike
27 >
28 > [1] http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-kernel&m=137182668616082&w=2 [2]
29 > http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
32 The thing about stable gentoo-sources is that it shows that it's been
33 tested, and ideally that testing's been done against the rdeps of the
34 kernel package too (ie, external modules). For instance, I like that
35 I can generally expect vbox-modules and tp_smapi and bbswitch to
36 emerge against whatever the current-stable gentoo-sources kernel is,
37 whereas with the ~arch one(s) I don't hold any such expectation
38 (although it's nice when it does).
39
40 Similarly, when there are known functionality issues that do not have
41 an upstream fix (nor one scheduled for some time), like say, intel drm
42 being broken except for ~arch or -9999 xorg/libdrm/xf86-video-intel ,
43 I think it's pertinent that the newer versions stay ~arch until a fix
44 is developed and available -- the stable kernel being pegged at 3.4.9
45 for a long time is a good example of this.
46
47 That said, given the frequency of security updates, I do think it
48 makes sense to try and keep the stabilization of LTS kernel versions
49 in sync with upstream as much as possible, including
50 quick-stabilization whenever we can. Hopefully those security
51 backports don't usually change functionality and features much,
52 although if they do then perhaps we need to hold off on their
53 stabilization for a little while too..
54
55 Makes sense or am I way off base?
56