From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 07:54:58
1 On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 18:13:29 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:49:44 AM EST Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Why would you end up with duplicated UIDs and GIDs? The only real ways
7 > > that can happen is
8 > > - ebuild "edits" passwd and group directly using echo/sed and the like.
9 > > - ebuild runs useradd|groupadd specifying the uid/gid as arguments
10 >
11 > I think you mean enewgroup and enewuser
12
13 FYI, enew* functions handle UID/GID collisions gracefully, and just
14 fallback to using next free UID/GID.
15
16 > > Who cares what the uid/gid is? There's a range of about 950 to chose
17 > > from. The way to ensure a filesystem object has the correct owner and
18 > > group is by using chown/chgrp.
19 >
20 > See above, any administrator moving files between systems, restoring backups,
21 > etc.
22 >
23 > Say you do a fresh install. What if all your UID/GID differ from your backup?
24 > HUGE MESS!!!!
25
26 I'm not sure if you're aware that but most of tools doing backups
27 actually use usernames/group names. So does new enough tar. So does
28 ssh.
29
30 Are you specifically using some obsolete or braindead tools to prove
31 your point? If you don't sync UIDs/GIDs properly, then you don't use
32 them when moving data across systems. Simple as that.
33
34 The only thing that you could worry about then are missing users/groups
35 on the target system. But then, so far none of your talk solved that
36 problem.
37
38 Furthermore, I should add that neither repeating the same argument
39 thrice, nor adding some random caps and exclamations marks, won't make
40 it any more valid.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny
45 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>