From: "Michael R. Gayeski" <mrgayeski@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: Miguel S Filipe <m3thos@×××××××.pt>, gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Disk Performance Issues [AMD Viper plus IDE chipset problems. (wrong udma "autodetection")]
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 18:39:26
1 > I'm sending this email about a problem with udma settings
2 > in a TigerMP motherboard, wich supports UDMA 100.
3 > The problem looks like the kernel on boot detects the disks has UDMA33
4 > all the time, although one does UDMA 100 and the other one UDMA 66
5 > My drive's performance are lousy, and I know they are capable of much more,
6
7 Are you using 80-wire cables for your drive? The motherboard will politely
8 refuse to operate at UDMA 100 without the new cables. Also, I believe there
9 is a kernel option to force UDMA100 at boot, but I seem to remember it not
10 being recommended.
11
12 Good luck,
13