From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resurrecting "Project Dolphin"
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:19:13
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sat, 14 Oct 2006, Benjamin Judas wrote:
4 > it's been a while since I stepped back as a Gentoo-developer (about 1 1/4
5 > years) and in that time I did exactly zero. Private life (and unfortunately
6 > stress) kept sucking up my time and interest in helping out in development
7 > work. However, now after a long hiatus, I feel the need to get back to action
8 > and continue at exactly that point at which I stopped.
9 >
10 > I took the decision to reanimate "Project Dolphin". Dolphin was an
11 > experimental minimal CD similar to Grmbl aimed at semi-professionals and
12 > professionals to help repair broken systems or minimize data-loss.
13 >
14 > Opposites to the official Gentoo-Minimal-CDs it contained more software and
15 > also a working gcc (the idea behind that was to provide a quickly available
16 > distcc-host by simply bootng any additional machines in a network with the
17 > dolphin CD).
18 >
19 > Since I am sure that needs and ideas for such a CD have changed in the last 15
20 > months, it's definitely a good idea to ask again which applications or
21 > services should be available on that CD.
22 >
23 > I hereby request every person make suggestions. Please note, that Dolphin will
24 > be a CLI-based CD only, so no X-Applications will be taken into
25 > consideration.
28 Must:
29 screen, cryptsetup with LUKS support (also in the kernel), all
30 available fscks and mkfs's (ditto for the kernel, maybe also for
31 the not-quite-so-unusual partition types), fdisk and friends,
32 partition magic(?), a "find file(s) by byte pattern on this
33 device" tool (there are several), file, iproute2,
34 ping/traceroute/tcptraceroute and ipv6-capable friends where
35 necessary, host and dig, nmap, tcdump or tshark, miitool,
36 ethtool, netcat/6, ssh, arping, lftp, pciutils (lspci), usbutils
37 (lsusb)
38
39 Would-be-nice:
40 mtr, partition magic, grub, tcpdump *and* tshark, ngrep, dsniff,
41 ettercap, fping, hping, scapy, netwib/wox/whatchmacallit
42
43 That's a quick list and I think one could argue about the
44 membership in both categories.
45
46 Regards,
47 Tobias
48 (not a Gentoo dev but a frequent user of live CDs)
51 You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
52 --
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list