From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpcre.so.3 - Compatibility with Debian
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 12:14:02
1 On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2016, James Le Cuirot wrote:
3 >
4 >> That makes it slightly more awkward for binaries you may have
5 >> installed manually.
6 >
7 > It is impossible to support all third-party binaries, especially if
8 > they link against non-standard libraries because they aim for bug
9 > compatibility with another distro.
10 >
11 > Users manually installing such things can easily create any needed
12 > compatibility symlinks in their /usr/local/lib*.
15 It doesn't hurt for people to try to provide compatibility when the
16 changes are minor though.
17
18 It is nice to have the steam overlay around. Though, if things got
19 bad enough I imagine I'd take the time to figure out how to just get
20 Ubuntu+Steam working in a container. For binary packages sometimes it
21 is easier to just go the path of least resistance. Though, when X11
22 is involved containers aren't always painless.
25 Rich