From: "Francesco R." <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Slotted MySQL ; mysql-herd
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:00:17
1 There are these ebuilds in cvs from few minutes:
2
3 mysql-4.0.26-r30.ebuild
4 mysql-4.1.15-r30.ebuild
5 mysql-5.0.15-r30.ebuild
6
7 these ones contain a starting point ebuild to make a slotted mysql
8 installation.
9
10 The motivations that push this choice are both developement and user
11 side. Making a long story short there are two points:
12
13 We want to support every major.minor version of mysql, having slotted
14 mysql make life easyer to developers in testing all supported versions.
15
16 User side, slotted mysql server and client make possible a smooter
17 upgrade, keeping downtimes to the minimum (a stop and start in the best
18 case).
19
20 ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
21
22 Further these days I was wondering to populate a bit more "mysql-herd"
23 of developers and packages, also to cover my personal lack of knowledge
24 on some languages (deeper explanation in private mails ;-)
25
26 So if you're interested in join the herd, let me know (sorry non-dev, I
27 cannot mentor these days).
28
29 I'm listed on devaway from 2005-10-01 to 2005-10-10, will answer when
30 I'll come back.
31
32 Cheers,
33 Francesco Riosa