From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Local bindist descriptions
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 03:04:20
1 On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Alexander Berntsen
2 <alexander@××××××.net> wrote:
4 > Hash: SHA256
5 >
6 > All packages should have local descriptions of what the bindist
7 > USE-flag specifically does. This should be a policy when writing
8 > ebuilds that include it.
9 > ...
10 > I have filed bug reports for the affected packages. However, to avoid
11 > this becoming an issue in the future I think it would be fruitful to
12 > have a policy or something to make sure all ebuilds that make use of the
13 > bindist USE-flag at the very least describe *what* toggling it does in
14 > the context of that specific package, and preferably also *why* the
15 > flag exists in the first place. This will summarise the problem and
16 > the solution that USE=+bindist offers for the end-user. I don't find
17 > it acceptable to make the details "left as an exercise" to the user.
18
19 Once all packages currently using the flag have local descriptions, we
20 could remove bindist from profiles/use.desc, converting it from a
21 global to a local use flag. This would cause repoman to reject any new
22 instances without a local description.
23
24 That would be much more effective than a policy that may be
25 (accidentally) ignored.