From: Stefan Jones <cretin@g.o>
To: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] TLS in glibc
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:00:00
1 Hi,
2
3 I am just wondering why TLS is not enabled by default in glibc with
4 linuxthreads. Both Debian and Redhat enable it by default.
5
6 Also the Glibc INSTALL file states:
9 `--without-tls'
10 By default the C library is built with support for thread-local
11 storage if the used tools support it. By using `--without-tls'
12 this can be prevented though there generally is no reason since it
13 creates compatibility problems.
16 I realise it used to be the case that nvidia-glx would not work with it
17 but that is no longer the case.
18
19 It could be that you don't trust the build tools to work (binutils,
20 gcc); but I don't think that is any longer the case.
21
22 It is just with this multiple version glibc thing, I am trying to select
23 suitable flavours of glibc:
24
25 So far I am thinking of:
26 /lib - linuxthreads, kernel-version=2.2.5 no-tls
27 /lib/i686 - linuxthreads tls kernel-version=2.4.1
28 /lib/tls - nptl tls kernel-version=2.6.0
29
30 with the ld-linux.so in /lib being the one from
31 "linuxthreads tls kernel-version=2.4.1" (if any of the libraries have
32 TLS then the main ld-linux.so needs TLS)
33
34 This would mean 2.2 kernels will not run; but I don't think that is an
35 issue.
36
37 Sound ok?
38
39 Also I would like to see the CFLAGS in glibc upped,
40
41 Debian unstable uses:
42
43 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 -g0 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
44 -D__USE_STRING_INLINES
45
46 for i686 optimised binaries; I would like to see the same possibility in
47 gentoo. Debian after all has always been seem to err on the side of
48 caution.
49
50 Stefan
51 --