From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:27:05
1 On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 06:17:17PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
2 > On Wed, 16 May 2001 17:41:28 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger)
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 > > Joe White wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > Where is the main init script that starts up the system and executes
8 > > all the other rc scripts located?
9 > > >
10 > > > I need it to pass it to LILO init=?
11 > > >
12 > > you must pass /sbin/init this will call /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc
15 > Yes, but why on earth do that? I boot using Lilo, and I certainly don't
16 > need it.
17
18 We don't ask, we just answer the questions ;)
19
20 Actually, sometimes init is useful. One can pass "init=/bin/bash" if any
21 low-level repairs need to be performed on your Gentoo Linux system. You can
22 then remount the root filesystem read/write and do what you need to do:
23
24 # mount / -o remount,rw
25 # swapon -a
26 # vim /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc