From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 18:58:33
1 On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:15:23 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > 3. grub2-install calls grub2-bios-setup which installs boot.img into
7 > > the MBR and embeds core.img into the sectors immediately after the
8 > > MBR.
9 >
10 > Ok, that isn't all that unlike grub1 - that is what stage1.5 is. It
11 > just sounds like these aren't static files that are copied out of
12 > /boot/grub, but rather they're built on-demand from other files there.
13 > Grub1 figures out which static stage1.5 you need based on where /boot
14 > is. They probably went to a more dynamic model so that they can
15 > support stuff like LVM+MD+LUKS+etc without having every permutation of
16 > static code. I'm not sure how smart the bootloader code ends up being
17 > - it wouldn't surprise me if at time of install the installer does all
18 > the work and just loads a simple bootloader on the diagnostic cylinder
19 > with just enough smarts to find /boot if it hasn't changed.
20
21 And if in this complex transition something goes wrong, we could opt
22 for the solution Ubuntu provided years ago, which was to add to the
23 grub1 boot loader configuration an entry which would call the grub2
24 boot loader, so that grub2's correct function could be ascertained
25 before the definitive switch to grub2 and removal of the grub1 code.
28 jer