From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP81 and /home
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 00:21:34
1 On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 6:38 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > But now users have to follow one more step (create /home/amavis) when
4 > setting up amavisd-new. Is the QA check really assuring a quality user
5 > experience here?
8 Lots of daemons need a home directory for their users, and usually
9 they manage to get by in /var/lib. It really seems like a bad
10 practice to start having packages creating stuff in /home. Certainly
11 I don't want random daemons sticking stuff in /home, which I manage
12 differently from the OS-owned directories. I'll just end up having to
13 manually create stuff where it belongs in /var/lib and then symlink
14 everything back from /home, and now I have distro cruft in /home and
15 non-distro cruft in /var/lib, and neither is ideal.
16
17 It seems like the straightforward solution is to stick everything in
18 /var/lib/amavis, and fix things so that everything has the right
19 permissions regardless of install order.
20
21 If /var/lib/amavis is getting installed root-owned then it should be
22 chowned when amavis is installed, especially for the first time. That
23 seems sane.
24
25 Another option is to have /var/lib/amavis/home and /var/lib/amavis/work.
28 Rich