From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper Gentoo Name (was License criteria for Gentoo)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:44:19
1 On Wednesday 25 September 2002 15:04, Moritz Schulte wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl> writes:
3 >
4 > Now we are speaking about cars, ok. ;)
5
6 Well here we have the problems with analogies ;-)
9 > > One point that does speak in favor of calling the car after the
10 > > engine is that the gears, and steering weel can be changed or even
11 > > have multiple simultaneous ones.
12 >
13 > Just as a side note: also the engine can be exchanged - by the Hurd.
14 > But this wouldn't work as good as the Linux based version yet.
17 I know that, although one would probably still want a hurd that complies to
18 the linux interface, (provides the linux chasis) else we would have a
19 different kind of "car" as a "linux" car isn't a "freebsd" car, "hurd" car or
20 "windows" car. But yes, for the parts of the car that is not part of the
21 suspension/chasis a monster truck (you know, the very very large wheeled
22 cars), is just a car. This is also a little bit what wine (or the linux
23 compatibility layer on freebsd) does, it provides the connection points on
24 the engine and chasis (and even body) that windows compatible utilities
25 expect.
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze