From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, licenses@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on distributed patented software
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:46:43
1 The devmanual discusses licensing as a core concept
2 (https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/licenses/index.html)
3 but does not cover patents. My understanding is that we:
4
5 - set RESTRICT=bindist when we are unable to redistribute binaries
6 (e.g. due to a license or patent restriction.)
7 - set RESTRICT=mirror when we are unable to redistribute source code
8 (e.g. due to a license of patent restriction.)
9 - Sometimes, we remove patent encumbered source code from packages
10 (e.g. with USE=bindist) so that we can build redistributable binaries
11 with the patented features removed.
12
13 Could we add some text to the license concepts covering patents? It
14 seems to have been omitted?
15 Is my understanding of how we manage patented software correct?
16
17 -A