From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 18:14:56
1 On Wed, 2020-02-12 at 10:02 -0800, Christopher Head wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > Yesterday something surprised me. I updated my system and got the acct-{user,group}/lighttpd for the first time. Because lighttpd was running, package installation failed to change the home directory—fine, it printed an error message, I stopped the server, changed the home directory by hand, and started the server back up.
4 >
5 > What I didn’t realize was that it also, successfully, removed the lighttpd user from a couple of auxiliary groups I had put it in. It did this without telling me, without printing any messages. I only noticed because I happened to look at syslog and discovered that usermod or gpasswd or whatever it called had logged the changes. Presumably this has broken a service or two (nothing too critical) since now Lighttpd won’t be able to connect to SCGI sockets any more.
6
7 I'm pretty sure user.eclass does print whatever changes it is doing. It
8 isn't elog-ged though, I admit. This is probably worth fixing.
12 Best regards,
13 Michał Górny