From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 19:24:50
1 On Mon, 29 May 2017 17:33:13 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > For a long time we seem to be missing appropriate tools to handle USE
4 > flag constraints efficiently. EAPI 4 brought REQUIRED_USE but all
5 > things considered, it has proven to be far from an optimal solution.
6 > I would therefore like to discuss adding a better tool to amend or
7 > replace it, to allow for automated handling of USE flag constraints.
8
9 REQUIRED_USE's problems all come from it being thrown in at the last
10 minute without any testing of either the user experience or the
11 feasibility of its implementation. Have you implemented a prototype to
12 show that you can actually fix those problems?
15 Ciaran McCreesh