From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: why? pciutils with zlib use-flag went stable on x86
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:57:01
1 >> Why did you provocate this breakage?
2 >> This is not a good idea, IMHO.
3 >
4 > No. And many gave up getting this sensible again.
5 > As is, the default USE flags for a desktop profile lead to a compilation
6 > failure when unattended due to this, which is very very bad.
7
8 I'm not even complaining about that.
9
10 I will get a message, that i have to edit /etc/portage/package.use. So i
11 do that, and after that i'm happy and everything compiles.
14 But now, x86 users out there, will upgrade pciutils. They will not get
15 any message about the breakage. They will not realize what's wrong.
16
17 The hal-maintainers did their job: they checked, whether the zlib
18 use-flag is set properly for pciutils. But this check is not executed,
19 since hal has not been revbumbed on x86.
20
21 And the pciutils-maintainers? They should check, where hal is installed
22 - or maybe they should simply check the hal use-flag.
23 And then, they should output a message, that the zlib use-flag would
24 actually do harm. But the ebuild doesn't do that.
28 So i think, right now, during these hours, clueless x86 gentoo users
29 will upgrade their pciutils, not even realizing, that should do that
30 with disabled zlib use-flag.
33 I'm becoming a little sarcastic, but i hope, the problems with
34 disharmony causes, will be noticed soon by others.