From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:10:53
1 Hi Daniel
2
3 Daniel Drake wrote:
4 > My question is, how can we improve this situation? Portage really needs
5 > a decent messaging system to convey messages like this. It's in the
6 > works, right? It seems long overdue now...
7 > Users suggested making the messages appear at the very end of the emerge
8 > process ("* X config files in /etc need updating" style), or an
9 > etc-update style system where you read messages and dismiss them once
10 > you've seen them, or a system which mails you those ewarn messages.
11 > I really hope portage will be able to provide functionality something
12 > like this soon...
13
14 There is a patch to make portage quiet, but most of the users
15 complaining about Gentoo beeing 'not working anymore' probably don't
16 know how to/want to apply such a patch. This was already discussed
17 earlier (see [gentoo-dev] rfc: epause instead of sleep in ebuilds,
18 09/01/04). If users would only see the einfo, ewarn, eerrors and so on,
19 they probably would read the emerge output. Those who don't at least
20 couldn't blame us anymore, because it's really not hard to scroll up and
21 read. Those who don't because they're doing the emerge -u world per
22 cronjob or so could mail these warnings themself anyway, most (all?)
23 crons provide such a service.
24
25 > In the meantime, could we have handled this better with the resources
26 > available to us right now? How have other people coped with similar
27 > changes?
28
29 I don't see anything beside a new standard setting in portage. There
30 would be solutions, but the problem is that people that would 'install'
31 them wouldn't blame you anyway...
32
33 greetings
34