From: Dennis Schridde <devurandom@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 17:56:01
1 Am Dienstag, 24. Juli 2018, 19:15:19 CEST schrieb Ian Stakenvicius:
2 > On 2018-07-21 9:33 a.m., Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 5:33 AM Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> Sure, why not? So ^flag would mean that the flag state propagates from
5 > >> the settings in IUSE.
6 > >
7 > > Presumably this could be overridden in subsequent profiles, or
8 > > /etc/portage. That is, one profile might set a flag, and another
9 > > profile could unset it, and then the final one could re-set it.
10 > >
11 > >> It's also conceivable that we could add a way for
12 > >> profiles to modify the effective IUSE defaults, via new operators in
13 > >> package.use or by introducing a new file such as package.use.default.
14 > >
15 > > That makes sense, or the syntax could be available in the ebuild. I
16 > > imagine the better approach to take would depend on the nature of the
17 > > incompatibility.
18 >
19 > This is getting a little scary as to what is overriding what, within a
20 > repo.
21
22 I also tried to untangle this in my email from Sat, 21 Jul 2018 14:45:12 +0000
23
24 It indeed is a bit confusing, but I think you got it right in your list below:
25
26 > Lets take a look at what we -can- do right now:
27 >
28 > (a) use flag can be set globally by the repo
29 > (b) ebuild IUSE can set (and unset?) a flag's state
30 > (c) make.defaults and package.use from the profile (that generally is
31 > defined within the gentoo repo) sets/unsets a flag's state
32 > (d) make.conf sets/unsets a flag's state
33 > (e) /etc/portage/package.use sets/unsets a flag's state
34 > (f) {,package.}use.{mask,force} from the profile overrides a-e
35 > (g) /etc/portage/profile/{,package.}use.{mask,force} overrides f
36 >
37 > That's a lot of possible state overriding.
38
39 I, too, would hope that at some point later, independently of this discussion,
40 the algorithm for determining what use flags are active for a certain package
41 could be simplified.
42
43 --Dennis