From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ryao@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 17:53:46
1 On Fri, 2018-09-14 at 20:48 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 8:33 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > > Let's do this the other way around and be react based on facts and not
5 > > > speculations.
6 > > > Let's change the policy for a year for selected packages as I
7 > > > outlined, monitor bugs and after a year see response times, affected
8 > > > users and if downstream patches are accumulated. Then we can decide if
9 > > > we need to patch upstream packages.
10 > > > If we need to patch upstream package anyway, not follow upstream
11 > > > policy and not accepting input for various of permutations and
12 > > > architecture from all users, this discussion is nearly void.
13 > > >
14 > >
15 > > ...and for how long did you exactly ignore the standing policy that
16 > > suddenly we need a new testing period? How about we do the opposite
17 > > and you prove a *single* bug found downstream using this method so far?
18 > >
19 > > Because so far this discussion is not much different than "let's make
20 > > the ebuild fail for some values of ${RANDOM}, and add extra values when
21 > > users complain". Though the variant with random has probably a greater
22 > > chance of failing when *actual* security issues happen.
23 >
24 > OK, back to personal discussion, unfortunately you question this in
25 > this principal thread.
26 >
27 > Personal response:
28 > In all my years in Gentoo, I've never thought the maintainer lose his
29 > judgement of how to maintain a package as long as the he/she provide a
30 > great service to users.
31 > I've never thought or read this (and other) paragraph as a strict
32 > white and black nor the holy bible , but a suggestion of how to
33 > provide a great service to user with the least overhead to maintainer,
34 > the best practice, the common case.
35 > I believe there was no complains from users about these packages, on
36 > the opposite users report issues and are happy when resolved after
37 > proper investigation.
38 > I guess something had changed recently in Gentoo in which QA try to
39 > take the maintainer judgement try to enforce a black and white
40 > perspective and without looking at bug history and other sources.
41 > I believe this is a regression and not a progression, I was very
42 > disappointed to see this new side of Gentoo in which common sense for
43 > a specific case cannot be discussed individually, nor that a fixed bug
44 > is hijacked to discuss a principal issue without opening a separate
45 > formal QA request to discuss properly, address some of the argument
46 > raised by fellow developers and the reaction of requesting to ban
47 > developers without any mature discussion. As you can see this in this
48 > thread is not black and white.
51 I should point out *once again* that:
52
53 a. nobody requested banning developers,
54
55 b. Bugzilla access suspension was requested because of your hostility
56 in closing the bug and not the technical issue in question --
57 or in other words, to prevent you from closing the bug again.
58
59 However, if you continue spreading harmful misinformation about my
60 intentions in attempt to prove your point in technical matter, then
61 I believe we have much more serious problem to address here.
64 Best regards,
65 Michał Górny