From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tightly-coupled core distro [was: Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:20:13
1 Diego Elio Pettenò posted on Sun, 18 Nov 2012 07:47:22 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 18/11/2012 07:43, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
4 >> And, by the way, I doubt, that people "laugh" about eudev (previously
5 >> named udev-ng) creation. Mostly they just can't understand why gentoo
6 >> devs created third udev's fork, where it was already done (and
7 >> maintained) fork for LFS (somewhere on bitbucket)
8 >
9 > People _are_ laughing at it. On G+, on Twitter, I suppose identi.ca and
10 > IRC as well.
11
12 There's worse things than being laughed it. In fact, what's the oft-used-
13 in-MS/Linux-context quote (Gandi if I'm not mistaken), something along
14 the lines of...
15
16 First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
17 you win!
18
19 If they're laughing, they're beyond the ignore stage. And we see
20 evidence of the fight stage now too. If the idea behind that quote is
21 correct...
22
23 But regardless, there's quite some coding to do before we see.
24 Meanwhile, it may fizzle out, or other events may overtake. Anyway you
25 look at it tho, things could be interesting.
26
27 But there's still worse things than being laughed at. Gentoo continued
28 in spite of the ricer rep it once had, and this project seems to be being
29 blown WAY out of proportion in all KINDS of ways, but gentoo will still
30 continue, regardless.
31
32 (All that said, the copyright/legal thing is a bit concerning, but it
33 already seems to be on its way to being worked out, best I can tell, so
34 it too seems to have been blown way out of proportion, tho it may well
35 have been felt that was necessary in ordered to stress the gravity of the
36 situation. As many find out too late, legal isn't a laughing matter, but
37 regardless, that angle /does/ appear to be being addressed. The
38 others... let them laugh.)
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman