From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] EAPI
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:59:30
1 On 08/26/05 Kristian Benoit wrote:
2
3 > On the EAPI subject Brian just brought back, I had this idea that we
4 > could use the same approch XML took with HTML.
5 >
6 > The ebuild could define which EAPI to use, but instead beiing a
7 > version, the EAPI would be an ebuild API definition. The equivalent to
8 > the XML's dtd. The ebuild could point to a directory named
9 > $PORTDIR/eapi/<eapi-name>/ which would contain a python script named
10 > <eapi-name>.py. If not already loaded, that plugable eapi would be
11 > loaded before processing the ebuild.
12 >
13 > That way, there is no outdated ebuild format. There is just a default
14 > format which is the actual format.
15 >
16 > It could also be an XML defining the ebuild's build sequence and other
17 > particularities a group of ebuild could have.
18
19 As EAPI is closely tied to portage internals (DEPEND handling for
20 example) that's not really going to work from within the tree. Otherwise
21 we could just distribute portage completely with the tree, no? Don't
22 mind having it pluggable inside portage, but as it can potentially
23 affect many areas I doubt that's realistic.
24
25 Marius
30 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
31 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list