From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs due lack of time
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:02:38
1 Le dimanche 17 février 2013 à 22:47 -0600, Ryan Hill a écrit :
2 > Even after you do that it's hard to figure out what firmware files you actually
3 > need. I know I need iwl6000 firmware for Intel Ultimate-N 6300 wifi, but
4 > linux-firmware contains:
5 >
6 > iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode
7 > iwlwifi-6000g2a-5.ucode
8 > iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode
9 > iwlwifi-6000g2b-5.ucode
10 > iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode
11 >
12 > Are these different versions? Different cards? Which do I need?
13
14 Good kernel modules *should* export needed firmwares as module
15 parameters. You *should* then be able to query it with modinfo:
16
17 modinfo <module> -F firmware
18
19 Note however that *lots* of modules (especially DVB, in my experience)
20 don't properly set those parameters and you're left grepping the source
21 code or dmesg to find which firmware you'll need...
22
23 Cheers,
24
25 Rémi