From: "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proctors - improve the concept or discard it?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:00:17
1 On Wednesday, June 6, 2007 07:20:18 PM Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
3 > > IRC is more or less self-moderated.
4 > I'd have to disagree, given the pure insanity and horsepiss the last 48
5 > hours have been. Clearly, we can't keep ourselves in line.
6
7 Well, yes, there are exceptions from the general rule, of course. We're
8 still here, though, and will still be in spite of the "phenomena" you
9 describe.
10
11 > > Do we really need moderation on the list? Or could we just literally
12 > > moderate ourselves instead? Could we try and succeed to be just
13 > > ignore some flames instead of adding oil to the fire?
14 > This doesn't seem possible. We don't seem to be able to moderate
15 > ourselves because it doesn't look like we have any authoritative
16 > figures...or people we listen to. Not often enough to make the
17 > slightest bit of difference, anyway.
18
19 We shouldn't really need authoritative figures. We've left kindergarden at
20 least a few years ago.
21
22 If people can't moderate themselves, the rest of us who can should
23 probably just ignore them completely. The trolls *will* give up then
24 rather sooner than later. Believe me, I've seen this over the course of
25 almost 20 years now in many communities I've been a part of and all of
26 these survived quite a few more disgruntled former or even current
27 members.
28
29 A thicker skin and letting things rest for a while really cools down one's
30 temper. :-)
31
32 Best regards, Wulf