From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Early stabilisation
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:10:21
1 On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 11:49 +0200, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
2 > > thirty days is the norm for the minimal period between an ebuilds last
3
4 It is the norm. It is not a requirement. In fact, it is specifically a
5 "guideline" rather than a hard rule. It is up to the maintainer's
6 discretion when to ask for stabilization, just like it is up to the arch
7 team's discretion when to actually *do* the stabilization. If you don't
8 think that it's ready on your arch, say so, but be prepared to defend
9 why you think so when the package maintainer, who should be much more
10 familiar with the package, thinks that it is ready.
11
12 > > On the other hand, maybe these early stabilisation bug reports are a
13 > > sign of the times and we need to shorten the normal thirty day period,
14 > > become even more of a cutting edge distro - or at least discuss the
15 > > options.
16 >
17 > I'd say leave the current norm and smack the misbehaving maintainers :)
18
19 Who says that they're misbehaving? Again, the maintainers probably know
20 their packages better than anyone else, so why are we not trusting their
21 judgement again?
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
26 Games Developer