From: Christopher Burgess <chris@××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rc6-3 install update
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:50:52
1 > Anyway, here are the issues I've found (and fixed when I could!)
2 > 3. X install goes okay except:
3 > 3.1 needed to add /usr/X11R6/bin to profile path (both root and user)
4 That's funny, I didn't need to do this? It was done automagically for me.
5
6 > 3.2 typing XDM gets the login screen, but won't let me log in (it just
7 > initializes back to the login screen).
8 don't think it's the same problem, but for me the xdm startup/runlevel script doesn't work. I think it's because it hasn't been updated to the new runlevel/startup system?
9
10 > 4. no rc-update or config scripts
11 again, this is the new runlevel system as far as I know. You need to poke around a bit to find the right files to edit etc for configuration.
12 And by the way, I do love the new (dependancy based) runlevel system - kudos to those invloved.
13
14 > 6. no modules.conf (I've been putting things in modules)
15 by poking around I've found a new directory - /etc/modutils which you can put files in, which seems to do the job of modules.conf. To make changes take effect I've used update-modules (I think), which creates a modules.conf based on all the files from /etc/modutils added together.
16
17 > By the way, can anyone help with point 3.2. I really would like to log into
18 > X at startup (or kdm -> compiling kdebase next!)
19 The "kdm" command run from the command line works perfectly for me(I'm using kde2.2).