From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: GLEP rap (Prefix/libc)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:17:47
1 heroxbd posted on Mon, 12 Aug 2013 16:45:56 +0900 as excerpted:
2
3 > I have made a GLEP draft to standardize our recent effort on using our
4 > own libc from portage inside Prefix.
5 >
6 > At present only glibc on linux is supported.
7 >
8 > The rst text are included inline.
9
10 Hi. I know nothing about prefix so won't attempt a comment on that.
11 There were, however, just a few sentences that did not read very smoothly
12 to me as a native English speaker, so here are some (relatively minor)
13 suggested changes. Mostly, I'm simply adding a few "the"s and changing
14 verb tense in a few spots, but there's a couple sentence splitting/
15 combining/rewording suggestions as well.
16
17 > Motivation ==========
18
19 ...
20
21 > RAP
22 > Literally means *Rap Ain't Prefix*. It serves as an acronym of
23 > *Prefix with libc* and is used interchangeably in this GLEP.
24 >
25 > Userspace of RAP is identical to Gentoo Linux, therefore more uniform
26 > and robust. RAP helps the ongoing effort of merging prefix and gx86
27 > portage trees [#pgx86]_.
28
29 THE userspace of RAP is ... (Insert "The". I'll use ALL CAPS to denote
30 most of my changes.)
31
32 Kudos for the self-referential name, BTW! =:^)
33
34 > Thanks to the completely independent userspace, RAP can run on any
35 > kernel that glibc was ported to
36
37 ... that glibc HAS BEEN ported to ... (not was)
38
39 > Rationale =========
40 >
41 > Gentoo Linux, though often cited as *metadistribution*, originates from
42 > a Linux distribution. Linux is supported better in Gentoo. In Prefix
43 > community, the merging of prefix and gx86 portage trees [#pgx86]_ is
44 > brought back by non-Linux systems such as Mac OS X and Solaris.
45
46 This paragraph read really rough for me, likely even more so as I'm not
47 familiar enough with prefix to be sure what you're actually trying to
48 say. However, this is my best guess (again, changes in ALL CAPS):
49
50 ... originatED AS a Linux distribution, AND Linux REMAINS BEST
51 supported. In THE Prefix community, ...
52
53 (Put "originated" in past tense. Replace "from" with "as". Merge the
54 two sentences using "and" and reword slightly since the second is so
55 closely related to the first. "The" prefix community...)
56
57 I /believe/ there's a further problem later in that sentence (... is
58 brought back...), but I'm simply not familiar enough with prefix to have
59 a clue what the intended meaning was or to suggest better wording.
60 Hopefully someone else with better knowledge of the domain can suggest
61 something... or confirm that it's fine as-is and I simply didn't know
62 what I was talking about.
63
64 > Backwards Compatibility =======================
65 >
66 > RAP cannot be mixed with present Prefix Linux implementation based on
67 > rpath if version of the host glibc is too low.
68
69 ... cannot be mixed with THE present ... based on rpath if THE version
70 of...
71
72 > Specification =============
73 >
74 > Present Prefix Linux uses *rpath mechanism* [#rpath]_, namely encode a
75 > prefixed library path into RPATH and RUNPATH in dynamic section of ELF.
76
77 PresentLY, Prefix Linux uses THE *rpath mechanism* [#rpath]_. Namely,
78 encode a prefixed library path into RPATH and RUNPATH in THE dynamic...
79
80 ("PresentLY", comma. Add a couple "the"s. If you keep "namely", split
81 the sentence in half.)
82
83 Another alternative (the way I'd likely word it myself) would change the
84 tense to "encoding" and skip "namely":
85
86 Presently, Prefix Linux uses the *rpath mechanism* [#rpath]_, encoding a
87 prefixed library path into RPATH and RUNPATH in the dynamic...
88
89 > RAP, on the other hand, encode a prefixed dynamic loader into INTERP in
90 > the program header of ELF.
91
92 RAP, on the other hand, ENCODES a prefixed dynamic loader into INTERP in
93 the ELF program header.
94
95 (Change the tense of "encode", reorder to "ELF program header" and omit
96 "of".)
97
98 > RAP is different with present Prefix Linux in toolchain, while identical
99 > in portage tree and portage itself.
100
101 RAP's toolchain differs from that of present Prefix Linux but uses the
102 same portage and portage tree.
103
104 Alternatively, reorder/reword and combine that paragraph with the next
105 one:
106
107 RAP uses the same portage and portage tree as present Prefix Linux but
108 differs in toolchain, which includes kernel headers(trivial), libc(glibc),
109 compiler(gcc) and linker(binutils). We focus our discussion on the last
110 three parts as well as a portage profile to hold things together.
111
112 (Reworded/combined, and the last sentence simply adds an "a" in front of
113 "portage profile".)
114
115 > Portage Profile
116 > ---------------
117 > Profile of RAP is put into features/rap, it defines `prefix` and `rap`
118 > keywords.
119 >
120 > Arch specific profiles are put into default/linux/${ARCH}/13.0/rap,
121 > and having features/rap as parent.
122
123 RAP's feature profile WILL BE features/rap. IT WILL define `prefix` and
124 `rap` keywords.
125
126 Arch specific profiles WILL HAVE features/rap as A parent and WILL APPEAR
127 AS default/linux/${ARCH}/13.0/rap
128
129 (Future tense "will", rewording.)
130
131 ....
132
133 Meanwhile, thanks both to you and to everyone working on prefix in all
134 its forms, RAP (which sounds really good to me; I can envision myself
135 running it should the need arise, something I've never seen myself doing
136 with current prefix) and otherwise. While I don't (currently) use prefix
137 myself, I believe it's an important project and am very glad it's
138 available for those gentooers who find themselves working on other
139 platforms where they'd like to have gentoo available as well. =:^)
144 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman