From: Mark Guertin <gerk@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ARCH awareness checklist
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:52:24
1 Hello Everyone
2
3 Just wanted to post a quick list of some potential problem causing factors for
4 ARCH awareness in portage, it will be a quick (and definately not all
5 inclusive) list of some potential things to watch out for. Not all of these
6 will apply once the new keyword and ARCH related portage tweaks, but
7 a lot are good 'rules of thumb' in making ARCH safe builds.
8
9 1) When adding any sort of patch or modified/sed'ed Makefiles:
10 - If it is needed for a specific ARCH related issue, please setup
11 so that it only get's applied to the ARCH in question.
12 - grep for anything like 386, 686, x86 in the patches/diff/Makefiles,
13 if they exist thing will most likely not work on other ARCHes, so
14 again please at least initially wrap an ARCH check around these.
15 - if a patch/Makefile is a global fix please give us ppc devs a
16 chance to take a quick look at it before unmasking to the world
17 where possible. I would say that 40-50% of the bugs I fix are
18 related to this sort of issue.
19
20 2) When adding new builds to portage some things to watch out for:
21 - if the pkg contains any amounts of asm (assembly) it will most
22 certainly not work on all ARCHes unless there is specific options
23 in configure for said ARCH.
24 - If in doubt about it again I (and any other ppc devs) would be
25 more than happy to at least take a 30 second look at the build
26 to look for potential hiccups/issues for ARCH before release.
27 - if the build is definately not ARCH safe, please mask it (or ask
28 a ppc dev) to mask it in our profile (at least until portage takes
29 care of this for us). Users will try to install anything they can get
30 their hands on ;)
31
32 3) Adding deps to existing builds
33 - this one has cause a lot of broken things in the non x86 world as
34 well. A quick look at /usr/portage/profiles/default-ppc-1.0/packages
35 will show any non ppc functional builds right near the top. There is
36 better functionality for this via portage on the way, but right now there
37 is no real elegant solution :(
38 - Again if in doubt I don't mind harboring any questions anyone may
39 have in a timely manner via email or IRC :)
40
41 Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks to some of the devs who
42 have been working with us to be ARCH happy. Again some of this may not apply
43 when newer portage takes over (like the adding new builds getting opened to
44 the wild without masking), but at least this gives devs something to work
45 from to be more ARCH concious. These little checks on ebuilds will make life
46 a lot smoother for non x86 Gentoo users and devs.
47
48 Thanks
49
50 Mark (Gerk)