From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:03:42
1 On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:25:23 +0100
2 Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Il giorno gio, 20/01/2011 alle 07.23 +0100, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." ha
5 > scritto:
6 > >
7 > > Storing distfiles in public_html is not a perfect solution either.
8 > > If the developer retires, what do we do with the files?
9 >
10 > That's why (and I answer to Peter here as well), it is an ad interim
11 > solution. As I said and repeated Robin is working on the final one but
12 > until then we still prefer this method.
13
14 It isn't exactly a solution and the interim has lasted for years now.
15
16 What legitimate use does mirror://gentoo retain when we do have a
17 solution? Ultimate patch attached.
18
19 The way I see it, losing important files because you didn't
20 store copies privately or publicly is not a problem our distfiles
21 mirrors should solve.
22
23 Having SRC_URI files taking up space indefinitely because of a special
24 SRC_URI value is not the solution either, say when we would create a
25 static-distfiles.gentoo.org for that purpose.
26
27 What if an upstream dies? Lots of packages have broken SRC_URIs because
28 of that, and yet as long as the ebuilds are in the tree, the files are
29 nicely mirrored for us.
30
31 So, as asked here and there in this thread, what exact problem are we
32 solving? Hopefully not merely the loss of some files in the past?
35 jer

mirror-gentoo-deprecation.patch text/x-patch