From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council manifesto of sping
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 00:45:32
1 Arun,
4 On 06/22/10 07:13, Arun Raghavan wrote:
5 > On reading again, you do have suggestions on how you would deal with
6 > most of what you've spoken. The only one that I think could use more
7 > details (other than all the references to "tone" which I think we
8 > should let rest for a while) is "Opening up documentation" - do you
9 > have any ideas for this process that might help with this while
10 > maintaining the quality the docs team has maintained thus far?
11
12 One way could be allowing everyone to commit to the main documentation
13 and ensure there's enough review going on. A sunrise like a approach
14 with two stages "pre-review" and "reviewed" (i.e. those files served
15 publically) could work well with two Git branches.
18 > As a follow up question, for documentation, PR, the website redesign,
19 > and templates, do you feel that these are tasks that need to be
20 > addressed by council members? Is there anything preventing you from
21 > taking the ball and running with it if you don't get elected into the
22 > council?
23
24 Yes, not all of them are exclusive to the council.
27 > And another one for "More direct democracy":
28 >
29 > a) How would you decide what questions go up for public vote and which
30 > ones stay with the council?
31
32 Good question! I think a few voices from developers (say three)
33 requesting a vote should force a global vote. If the council were
34 deciding on that, the concept would be useless. At least that's my
35 current understanding.
38 > b) For questions like "- Should Python 3.x be stable?", isn't that for
39 > team leads to decide? And for the council to resolve in case of
40 > conflicts?
41
42 It's too important to leave it to the Python team alone in my eyes.
44 related topics. A direct vote from all developers would reveal what the
45 majority really wants for that topic.
48 > c) For questions like "- Should developer X be banned?", would you be
49 > willing to do this if it meant a lot of washing of dirty linen in
50 > public, or protracted flamewars (and other reasons why we have a bunch
51 > of level-headed people in place to deal with this calmly and quietly)?
52 > If no, where would you draw the line? If yes, how would you deal with
53 > the fallout?
54
55 I'm not understanding all of that, honestly.
56 On a part I understood: Solving isues on that front may be worth extra
57 "noise" as the goal is to noticably improve atmosphere after.
58 Please help me to understand the rest of your question.
59
60 Best,
64 Sebastian