From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adding a modification timestamp to the installed pkgs database (vdb)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:46:39
1 2010/1/17 Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>:
2 >> No, we'd not do it that way. If we're ditching VDB, the only sane way
3 >> to do it is to ditch it with an rm -fr when creating the new layout.
4 >> Keeping two sets of data around is going to lead to breakage no matter
5 >> how well we do things.
6 >
7 > Please also provide a downgrade path, i.e. a way to go back from
8 > the new DB version to the current one should it be necessary (if
9 > there is no such path, Murphy will see to it that the new format
10 > breaks in interesting[0] ways).
11
12 That probably wouldn't be possible. One of the reasons we want to
13 ditch VDB is to allow multiple slots of the same cat/pkg-ver to be
14 installed in parallel (which is in turn necessary to allow some of the
15 more hideous dynamic slot abuses that people are after). VDB doesn't
16 support that, so you probably won't be able to go back once you've
17 started using new features.
18
19 *shrug* all of this is years off, anyway. It's at least EAPI 5
20 territory. We can work all this out later if EAPI 4 ever happens.
23 Ciaran McCreesh