From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About using USE flags to pull in needed RDEPENDs being discouraged by devmanual
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 20:11:45
Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > I guess the point is that it is not really a dependency. > > No, it's a dependency only when you want ppp support working,
Logically, but not technically. I like this separation; the package manager takes care of technical requirements, and I get to take care of the logical requirements.
> > I dunno if a USE flag is much better? Both require the user to inform > > herself in the same way ("when do I need USE=ppp for bluez" vs. "when > > do I need to emerge ppp") > > It's much easier to widely set "ppp" USE in make.conf to be sure ppp > support works for all things in my system that needing to rebuild > affected package to see elog message telling me that I need to manually > emerge some other package
My point is that when you know that you need ppp (and how could you set USE=ppp otherwise) then it is about equally easy to emerge ppp as it is to set USE=ppp.
Please read the rest of what I wrote too. :)
> I still administrate a laptop with a 250GB of disk space, and that > space cannot be as large if you have a lot of files at home.
My primary system had 8GB storage until a few years ago when flash prices went down. I was motivated to keep my system clean. If one is space constrained then I think one naturally pays more attention to keeping world small. Disk is still cheap. If it is a problem for me that I have unneeded packages installed, *then* I will start looking at cleaning up. Until then, there's no problem.
> Also, you are missing that having unneeded packages in world file > will also cause them to be updated on every system updated, with > the time it takes for compile.
I'm not missing, but I'm saying that it is merely the effect of not managing world very actively. I think it's difficult to impossible for a package manager to reliably determine logical requirements from what is a model (USE flags) of technical requirements (link-time dependencies). //Peter