From: Magnus Granberg <zorry@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improve the security of the default profile
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 18:24:13
1 onsdag 11 september 2013 00.07.29 skrev Ryan Hill:
2 > On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 18:41:34 -0400
3 >
4 > Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
5 > > A few thoughts:
6 > >
7 > > 1. The kernel expects -fno-stack-protector to be the default. What will
8 > > the effect be on kernel configuration once -fstack-protector is the
9 > > default?
10 > The kernel has supported building with -fstack-protector since 2.6.19, (at
11 > least on x86/x86-64). It's controlled by CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR and if
12 > it's disabled then -fno-stack-protector is explicitly added to the command
13 > line.
14 On Hardened we disable -fstack-protector* when building kernel and it is done
15 with some gcc spec rules that we patch gcc with and it have been working long
16 before gcc 4.X versions. It can be turned on with the kernel config option
17 CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR.
18 /Magnus