From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Riyad Kalla <rsk@×××××××××.edu>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Release/Stable/Dev
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:00:53
1 On Wednesday 20 November 2002 2:43 pm, Riyad Kalla wrote:
2 > This is more of a "how does this work" question:
3 >
4 > I notice so much activity on this list all the time with new packages
5 > and new ideas and new ebuilds, etc. etc... And I realize that the idea
6 > of a "release version" of Gentoo isn't the same as RedHat or Mandrake
7 > where there is a snapshot in time of a code base that is deemed a
8 > "release", its sort of this every-growing and changing repository of
9 > ebuilds.
10 >
11 > This is cool and everything, but it also makes it hard for people that
12 > need to get a "stable release quality" version to say slap on a
13 > production server... So for example, if I download Gentoo 1.4, and
14 > install it today, and my coworker downloads gentoo 1.4 and installs it 2
15 > weeks from now, we *might* have different systems cause when he emerged
16 > his original system, some of the packages had changed... (is this an
17 > accurate assessment?)
18 >
19 > How do I combat this? Say if I'm interested in a rock-solid snapshot of
20 > Gentoo without going through an ungodly amount of administrative setup
21 > and mirroring of the snapshot etc.?
22
23 The administrative overhead of doing this is small, and well worth the effort.
24
25 1. use rsync to take a copy of today's portage into a directory on one of your
26 servers. In this example I use /var/mirror/portage-stable.
27
28 2. create an /etc/rsync.d like the one below, and run rsync --deamon.
29
30 3. on every other stable server, change their make.conf to include:
31 SYNC="rsync://my.local.rsync.server/portage-stable
32
33 4. you probably also should set up a distfiles archive, so that you can still
34 install old things when the real portage has moved on.
35
36 5. I am still uncertain about the best way to handle critical updates to these
37 stable systems. Currently I have a seperate rsync mirror which contains a
38 PORTDIR_OVERLAY directory. That contains copies of ebuilds from the real
39 portage.
43 my /etc/rsync.d is:
44
45 pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
46 timeout = 150
47 [gentoo-portage-stable]
48 path = /var/mirror/portage
49 comment = Gentoo Portage Tree
50 [gentoo-portage]
51 path = /var/mirror/portage-stable
52 comment = Stable Snapshot of Gentoo Portage Tree
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list