From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] colon separated variables in /etc/env.d/
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 03:38:59
1 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 > Portage currently has two hard-coded lists of variables that control
3 > the behavior of env-update. I'd like to make these variables
4 > configurable so that package maintainers have direct control over
5 > them. The variables break down into two basic types: colon
6 > separated and space separated.
7 >
8 > What is the best way to propagate information about these two
9 > variable types? For example, we can have a list of variable names
10 > stored in a new variable called "COLON_SEPARATED" that will reside
11 > in either the profiles or /etc/env.d/ itself. Variable names not
12 > listed in COLON_SEPARATED can be assumed to be space separated.
13 > Does anyone have any ideas to share about how this information
14 > should be propagated?
15
16 Don't forget that the two lists actually break everything into three
17 categories: the "colon separated" lists, the "space separated" lists,
18 and the ones that aren't special (i.e. the ones that just replace the
19 previous value). So, you would still need two lists.
22 This message has been brought to you by the letter three.