From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly x11@ project status for April 2018
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 05:00:49
1 Matt Turner posted on Sun, 01 Apr 2018 20:08:35 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > My list of to-do items consists of:
4 >
5 > == Fix x11-base/xorg-server suid/systemd situation ==
6 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/635102
7 >
8 > Under some circumstances (kernel modesetting driver + systemd, I think)
9 > Xorg should be able to run without root privileges. We were shipping a
10 > USE=suid option without anyone knowing or understanding its purpose.
11
12 FWIW I understood it, but also knew it broke X for me back when I first
13 tried it. However...
14
15 > For >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.20 I plan to ship the xserver in a way that
16 > allows systemd/elogind users with kernel modesetting drivers to run Xorg
17 > without root privileges. I expect to push version 1.19.99.902 (1.20 RC2)
18 > into the tree soon with something working for systemd. I would very much
19 > appreciate an ebuild patch from any elogind user as well as non-systemd
20 > testing to make sure I haven't broken anything like I did with
21 > 1.19.99.901.
22
23 I noticed the recent no-superuser X changes here (on ~amd64), and decided
24 to try it again...
25
26 And now (after undoing an old hack I had to manually set SUID here) I
27 have X running as my normal user. Thanks! =:^)
28
29 FWIW, systemd with modesetting (amdgpu), as you suspected. startx (no *dm
30 at all merged). X starts on top of the vt1 login. xorg-
31 server-1.19.99.901-r1
32
33 > == Update packages to depend on x11-base/xorg-proto ==
34 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/651286
35 >
36 > The new x11-base/xorg-proto package combines nearly all (28 in fact) of
37 > the x11-proto/* packages into one, with a very fast Meson build system.
38 > It installs on my laptop in less time than it takes to ./configure one
39 > of the individual x11-proto/ packages. I've kept empty versions of the
40 > x11-proto/ packages to ease the transition.
41
42 I noticed that I didn't need many of the protos any longer here too, and
43 figured it was a recombining. Thanks for the confirmation. =:^)
44
45 And thanks for the roadmap to what's ahead re X. =:^)
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman