From: Matthew Marlowe <mattm@g.o>
To: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] OffTopic: VMWare ESX
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 02:29:50
1 ESX is a completely different beast than workstation, or GSX for that matter.
2
3 Good:
4 - Very, very stable
5 - The only real vmware software designed for server apps
6 - Performance VM QoS for disk, cpu, network, etc
7 - Easily run 30-40 VM's on a strong box w/ good mem
8 - Deals with lots of NIC's assigned to different vm's
9 - Per VM User Access Policies
10 - Very nice realtime performance reporting
11
12 Bad:
13 - Dont use for apps that really need performance of
14 dedicated boxes
15 - Not cheap, especially if get all the management add ons.
16 - Setting up some of the networking is more complicated than
17 it needs to be.
18 - Not very good w/ linux 2.6 kernel support yet (read, dont do it)
19 - I don't find the rollback, and cloning functionality as useful
20 as others. In fact, I've seen some vm's be corrupted if you
21 select the "append" mode for disk writes, which creates
22 a redo log that can get lost if the server hardware crashes.
23
24 Matt
25
26 --- Original Message---
27 To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
28 From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
29 Sent: 5/04/2005 2:16PM
30 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OffTopic: VMWare ESX
31
32 >> Hi there, thanks for getting back to me.
33 >>
34 >> basically, What I was wanting to know is actual hands-on experience.
35 >> Whats it like? Pros? Cons? What to watch out for? what its exceptionally
36 >> good at? whats it exceptionally bad at? bugs? all the normal kind of
37 >> questions really. How is it so different to vmware workstation? what big
38 >> management (of guest OS and resource allocation) features are there?
39 >>
40 >> Also, if you can, how you use it. what it is you do with it? Application
41 >> clustering? etc etc.
42 >>
43 >> All the stuff which doesnt come out of press releases, reviews and
44 >> promos :)
45 >>
46 >> Cheers, in anticipation :)
47 >> Regards,
48 >> John
49 >>
50 >> P.S. DK, what happened last fall is water under the bridge.
51 >> Misconceptions all around, and glad to see your still here.
52 >>