From: Anthony de Boer <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla behaviour in Gentoo Linux (long email)
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:43:15
1 Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > Many, many users use locate and many would complain if it was missing.
3
4 On a box where only I have a shell, and never use slocate, it's not
5 needed and does get annoying when cron kicks in. This is probably a very
6 good example of something where people can agree to disagree. and having
7 a well-documented switch is a good thing.
8
9 > ... rm /etc/cron.daily/locatedb.cron ...
10
11 That does it, though chmod -x would be less fatal and more reversible. I
12 prefer to actually remove the package, though emerge insists on wanting to
13 put it back in when I update world, so we're having a wrestling match.
14
15 It's probably with good reason that I'm hesitant to muck with profiles.
16
17 > > On completion of merging the portage ebuild sleeps for ~15 seconds, the
18 > > baselayout ebuild for ~10 seconds and even dev-sources sleeps for ~5
19 > > seconds whilst all these packages display messages. In my opinion, this is
20 > > downright pointless. On a source distribution like this one especially
21 >
22 > Except that it sleeps for _very important messages_. Those timers are
23 > there because people were totally missing those messages.
24
25 Except that *I* sleep for _very long compiles_. :-)
26
27 Also, I frequently emerge multiple packages at once, and only the last's
28 tail will still be on my screen when I come back. Even when I'm awake,
29 I rarely sit and watch the build go by.
30
31 It might be good to have a batch flag to ebuild or in FEATURES that says
32 not to bother with sleep-and-beep because nobody is around.
33
34 Some tools to find the Very Important Messages in PORT_LOGDIR's copious
35 output (I have 42 meg of build output there right now) would be helpful.
36 Ideally I'd be able to come back to the computer and review all the
37 messages from recently-completed builds.
38
39 Storing the important messages in a release-notes file under
40 /var/db/pkg/*/*, so they're with the build permanently, might also be a
41 worthy idea.
44 Anthony de Boer
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list