From: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
To: "gentoo-dev@g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Installer / Configuration utility thoughts
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:25:06
1 (warning: long text)
2 Hi all,
3
4 the recent discussion about an installer has been very polarized. Some
5 people would like to see an easy-to-use installer, some would like
6 scriptability, others prefer an automatic installer. There are even
7 those that say that documentation and a bash shell are enough.
8
9 This discussion happens about twice a year, and in the end not much
10 changes. The documentation has become much better, there are small
11 helpers (net-setup on the livecd, glis, ...), but no coordinated effort
12 for a "nice" installer or a unanimous "there will be no installer".
13
14 I know that developping a complete installation routine that is (almost
15 ;-) ) acceptable to most Gentooists is a lot of work, but since the
16 issue keeps coming up every now and then there seems to be a genuine
17 demand for it.
18
19 >From what I've read, the installer should have the following attributes:
20
21 * optional - this has been emphasized by many, and I agree. Choice and
22 all that.
23
24 * multiple output modules - Since there won't be a compromise between a
25 fully graphical installer ("eyecandy") and a textmode installer
26 (fallback when there is no graphics hardware) a user-selectable output
27 is desirable. This will be a lot of work and not very rewarding since
28 much functionality has to be duplicated.
29
30 * scriptable - the installer should have the option of reading all
31 configuration files from a location and run without interaction.
32
33 * automation - most of hardware detection and package selection should
34 have an automagic configuration mode that selects sensible default for
35 users that don't want to read the fine manual :-)
36
37 At the same time I'd like to see all the configuration utilities
38 unified. There are obvious tools (emerge) and non-obvious
39 (dispatch-conf, gcc-config). And often I think "having $tool would
40 rock!" only to find it half an hour later.
41
42 Also, there are many small tools that are not well documented
43 (revdep-rebuild, ...).
44 It would be really amazing to have a tool (call it "setup") that could
45 detect what software was installed (maybe ebuilds could drop a "config"
46 file into /etc/setup/ ?) so that administration could get a bit more
47 focused.
48
49 This tool could read an interface file like this:
50 (option "Start blah?" [yes|no] yes: exec "blah --start" no: exec "blah
51 --stop" default stop)
52
53 (syntax and capabilities can be adapted as needed)
54
55 So, on startup, "setup" reads all files in /etc/setup, creates menu
56 entries on the fly, and there you have a nice configuration utility.
57 Optional enhancments would be ncurses-setup, ksetup, gsetup ;-)
58 Installation could be seen as a special case of configuration ...
59 (Once you have a frontend / menu logic you "only" have to exchange the
60 script backend)
61
62 I think these tools would be very nice to most users, but I also see the
63 amounts of work needed. I'd like to know if my ideas are halfway
64 realistic and if Gentoo could benefit from this. Also, since this is a
65 lot of work and maintenance, if there is enough support on the
66 development side.
67
68 Just my 2 cent (European),
69 Patrick Lauer