From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for items for September 13 council meeting
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 16:15:12
1 On Sep 18, 2011 12:05 PM, "Ciaran McCreesh" <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:20:34 +0000
4 > "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
5 > > As we're talking about updating profiles EAPI, what do we need to get
6 > > to be able to mask use flags for the stable tree, but not the testing
7 > > tree?
8 >
9 > Every time this has come up, the conclusion has been "it's a horrible
10 > idea from a QA perspective, since it would mean that testing something
11 > in ~arch would be different to testing it in arch".
14 Isn't that already true from a dependency standpoint? I do see your point,
15 but the concept of rolling out a risky flag to the brave first does make
16 sense.
17
18 I think the biggest issue with ~arch is when things get deployed there for a
19 very long time before hitting stable. That applies to libraries,
20 baselayout-2, or flags. Things shouldn't go to ~arch unless we have a plan
21 to make them stable (excepting one-offs).
22
23 Rich