From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Installer (text-based)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 20:20:47
1 This is a post-FOSDEM call for people with interest for a Gentoo
2 text-based installer.
3
4 If you are a developer, or Gentoo user, and feel like spending some time
5 on (possibly) creating a text-based installer for Gentoo in cooperation
6 with others, please contact me (off-list).
7
8 During FOSDEM, I've been asked by a developer to share efforts on a
9 text-based installer for Linux distributions. There is a fair share of
10 work already done, but for the Gentoo case, certain pieces will be
11 missing. I am looking for someone to take the lead in using the
12 existing efforts to craft a scenario for the installer that performs the
13 Gentoo Linux installation e.g. from the livecd.
14
15 I do not wish to start a discussion on wether or not an installer makes
16 sense. I do not wish to replace the installation handbook at all
17 either. It has been brought to my attention that an installer (that
18 also can be pre-configured with the right options) is useful for certain
19 scenarios, and I would like to give it a shot to see how easy such thing
20 could be provided.
21
22 The installer in mind here, would also possibly work for Gentoo Prefix
23 bootstraps, for which we would use a bootstrap cd.
27 Fabian Groffen
28 Gentoo on a different level