From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Martin Lesser <gentoo@××××××××××.de>, Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vpopmail's emerge directory structure
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 12:12:49
1 On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 09:52:41AM +0100, Martin Lesser wrote:
2 > > The file doesn't belong to vpopmail exclusively. It really belongs to
3 > > qmail, and vpopmail wants to add and remove items from it for it's
4 > > misguiding implementation of relaying.
5 > What do you mean with misguiding? vpopmail - like others - only tries to
6 > record the REMOTEIP for SMTP after POP purposes.
7 I personally believe that /etc/tcp.smtp should not be writable by
8 anybody other than the root user himself, setting it up.
9
10 > > Qmail looks at /etc/tcp.smtp via tcpserver, which only allows a single
11 > > file to be specified, so there is also a tcp.smtp is in
12 > > /var/vpopmail/etc, then qmail NEVER looks at it, as it really needs
13 > > /etc/tcp.smtp.
14 > Just for clarifying: tcpserver (and not qmail) looks into a cdb-file
15 > which you define as option for tcpserver with -x /path/to/file.cdb.
16 That is exactly what I said: 'Qmail looks at /etc/tcp.smtp via
17 tcpserver'.
18
19 > So if one uses vpopmail the run-file for qmail-smtpd could be changed in
20 > a way that tcpserver looks in another cdb-file for which vpopmail has
21 > write access. The vanilla vpopmail suggests this IIRC.
22 The problem is that tcpserver only takes the last '-x' parameter it is
23 passed, so you cannot give it multiple cdbfiles.
24
25 I'd like to enforce a clean seperation between the tcp.smtp that is set
26 by the administrator and the tcp.smtp that vpopmail wants to create.
27
28 No application should ever re-write configuration files as it goes,
29 there is too much potential for disaster, and ideally should have no
30 permissions to write to the files even.
31
32 [snip standard information about how qmail-smtpd uses tcpserver].
33
34 Worst case scenario:
35 somebody finds a way to exploit vpopmail and add arbitrary information
36 to your cdb-file. now they use your mail server to send spam etc. I can
37 simply turn off the extra relaying added in by vpopmail, and leave my
38 original (and seperate) tcp.smtp file intact.
39
40 > > A much better overall solution is to use the relay-ctrl package (see my
41 > > notes in the latest qmail conf-smtpd and courier-imap stuff about it).
42 > Ack.
43 Why 'Ack'? The relay-ctrl package is simply the RELAYCLIENT stuff
44 abstracted and made a lot more useful. It also doesn't violate my
45 configuration files. I don't see any convincing reasons why it is less
46 suitable than vpopmail's less than idea implementation of relay after
47 auth.
48
49 Another nastiness with vpopmail, is that is I wanted to remove the relay
50 after auth only, I'd have to recompile it, versus just flipping a
51 configuration setting.
54 Robin Hugh Johnson
55 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
56 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
57 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
58 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85