From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: desc/cpu_flags_x86.desc
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 23:15:51
1 On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I would like to commit the following flags as cpu_flags_x86_desc.
5 > The list combines global USE flags with some local USE flags I've been
6 > able to find.
9 > 3dnow - Use the 3DNow! instruction set
10 > 3dnowext - Use the Enhanced 3DNow! instruction set
11 > aes-ni - Enable support for Intel's AES instruction set (aes in cpuinfo)
12 > avx - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions instructions
13 > avx2 - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions 2 instructions
14 > fma - Use the Fused Multiply Add instruction set
15
16 There are fma3 and fma4 instruction sets. We need to determine which
17 one the packages that have this flag are actually using and name the
18 flag appropriately.
19
20 > mmx - Use the MMX instruction set
21 > mmxext - Use the Extended MMX instruction set (intersection of Enhanced 3DNow! and SSE instruction sets) (3dnowext or sse in cpuinfo)
22 > padlock - Use VIA padlock instructions
23 > popcnt - Enable popcnt instruction support
24 > sse - Use the SSE instruction set
25 > sse2 - Use the SSE2 instruction set
26 > sse3 - Use the SSE3 instruction set (pni in cpuinfo)
27 > sse4 - Enable SSE4 instruction support
28
29 We shouldn't have an sse4 USE flag. It's either one of the three
30 below, but SSE4 by itself isn't a thing.
31
32 > sse4_1 - Enable SSE4.1 instruction support
33 > sse4_2 - Enable SSE4.2 instruction support
34 > sse4a - Enable SSE4a instruction support
35 > ssse3 - Use the SSSE3 instruction set
36 >
37 > --
38 > Best regards,
39 > Michał Górny