From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Security <security@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Pre-GLEP: Security Project
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 19:28:26
1 On 2017-03-12 23:53, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 03/11/2017 11:23 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 >> While the Deputy may be assigned, this still gives all power to
4 >> single hands. Maybe it will be better to establish something like
5 >> the Security Project Council (SPC)? E.g. three project members may
6 >> be elected to this SPC, so that all serious decisions will require
7 >> some team agreement from at least 2 SPC members. This way the
8 >> Deputy will not be needed as well.
9 >
10 > Something like this has been discussed. I personally don't like the
11 > approach too much given that it adds a certain degree of bureaucracy and
12 > can remove responsibility. An important part of the GLEP is that the
13 > project lead is responsible to the council for the changes that is made.
14 > Having possibility to overrule that by members would mean that the lead
15 > is not able to control the action, and as such, can't be responsible for
16 > it. If the members disagree with the lead they can call for re-election
17 > as per GLEP:39 already.
18
19 Looks like we are disagreeing about the role of a project lead.
20
21 The primary goal of any Gentoo project is to group people working
22 towards the same goal(s) in small, manageable groups. It shouldn't need
23 a lead in most cases to control the project members.
24
25 A lead is only needed if the team can't get a decision.
26
27 Saying that the team could call for re-election if they don't like
28 lead's decision is ridiculous from my view: Like said it isn't the lead
29 who controls the direction. It is the lead who should step down if
30 he/she doesn't feel comfortable with the team decision and no longer
31 wants to represent the project anymore because he/she disagree so much
32 with the team decision.
36 Regards,
37 Thomas