From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Qt3 mask breaks significant science packages
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:36:52
1 On 14 March 2010 06:09, James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >>>>>> "BdG" == Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > BdG> Abandoned packages do not belong in the portage tree.
5 >
6 > Nonsense.  That attitude only servers to harm the user base.
7
8 You're wrong. It serves to protect our users from potentially
9 broken and vulnerable packages. It ascertains a Quality
10 Assurance level that we and our users can be comfortable
11 with.
12
13 > Leaving them in does not.
14
15 It does, as it opens the users up to unknown security
16 vulnerabilities and increasing brokenness as bugs are
17 not addressed.
18
19 If Gentoo would stop caring about QA, then we'd be wasting
20 our time working on making this a better distro.
21
22 Cheers,
23 --
24 Ben de Groot
25 Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)