From: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-desktop] howto upgrade XFree86-4.3.0 to XOrg
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:45:58
1 Paul de Vrieze said:
2 > On Tuesday 01 June 2004 20:45, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> I'm having trouble with my Intel i815 XVideo extensions.
6 >> I get a blue screen instead of video, basically.
7 >>
8 >> I'm currently running XFree86-4.3.0-r(something), and
9 >> I'd like to upgrade to XOrg since it is very similar
10 >> (and prefered over) XFree86-4.4.0.
11 >>
12 >> However, obviously portage won't allow a direct upgrade
13 >> because they're not the same port, and XFree86 blocks.
14 >>
15 >> I've already run `emerge --fetchonly` to get my sources,
16 >> but now I'd like to know the best way to upgrade (compile)
17 >> with absolute minimal X11 downtime.
18 >>
19 >> My family uses this machine heavily for web browsing and
20 >> email, and it isn't very fast (733mhz), so I'd like to
21 >> (if possible) compile XOrg in the background, and then
22 >> uninstall XFree86 and install XOrg in one quick fell
23 >> swoop.
24 >>
25 >> Is this possible? If so, how?
26 >
27 > First make sure that all the dependencies are updated:
28 > emerge -o xorg-x11
29 >
30 > Then create a binary package:
31 > emerge -B -O xorg-x11
32 >
33 > Then unmerge the old xfree86:
34 > emerge -C xfree86
35 >
36 > Then merge xorg-x11:
37 > emerge -K xorg-x11
38 >
39 > Alternatively you could edit the xorg ebuild to remove the blocker. Then
40 > just
41 > not forget to unmerge xfree afterwards.
42 >
43 > Paul
46 You could just keep xfree and all your programs open while unmerging xfree
47 and emerging xorg. You just have to make sure you or your family dont
48 close anything or restart your computer before xorg gets emerged.
49
50 Another possiblity is just to do it all at night.
54 Joe Booker
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list