From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:43:57
1 On Tuesday 20 July 2004 9:14 am, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > A while back, I wrote GLEP 19[1] based on some of the needs of the
3 > gentoo-server project. For various reasons, the GLEP was tabled at the
4 > time and never went anywhere. A number of folks have expressed an
5 > interest in revitalizing this GLEP, so I'd like to start a new
6 > discussion about implementing it. There was a couple of previous
7 > threads on this GLEP back when it was first introduced that I'll
8 > include[2] for your reference.
9
10 My thoughts on this are:
11
12 1/ Many Gentoo users want the ability to update packages for fixes only
13 (and not just for servers)
14 2/ Maintaining separate trees in CVS is probably asking too much of our
15 current roster, plus requires adding infrastructure and getting everyone
16 to mirror the new tree(s)
17 3/ Users already have a good understanding of what profiles are. This is
18 useful.
19 4/ Creating separate CVS trees while also using profiles seems superfluous.
20
21 Therefore I believe another possible solution is to change the way we use
22 profiles (both in practice and in QA policy):
23
24 Implications:
25
26 1/ archs will need to have a regular, predictable release schedule,
27 probably at least every six months.
28 2/ profiles will list specific package versions whenever possible. e.g.:
29 =sys-libs/glibc-2.3.2
30 3/ we will need to prepare a list of packages which should not change
31 unless the user switches profiles. those packages (e.g., toolchain) in
32 the current, and older profiles do not get updated except for fixes.
33 4/ we will need to have a policy about how long we'll support a profile,
34 and a procedure for end-of-lifing profiles. (probably don't want to
35 support a single profile for more than 2 years)
36 5/ we will need to have documentation for users who are upgrading from one
37 profile to another (upgrade warnings, instructions and considerations)
38 6/ repoman will need to be enhanced to check the profiles before removing
39 any ebuilds from the tree that might be needed. specific versions pinned
40 in profiles need to stay until the profile is changed.
41
42 Potential problems:
43
44 1/ Makes KEYWORDS redundant
45 2/ Unstable (unreleased) profiles will probably, often run into conflicts
46 during commit
47
48 I probably missed some things, but it's a start.
49
50 Cheers,
51 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
52 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F