From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LWE/Boston 2006 summary
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 23:42:57
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> said:
2 > - the dual core amd64 demo machine was running XGL and some movies like FF7
3 > Advent Children (due later this month in the US btw!) ... this was such a
4 > pimp demo, it caught everyone's attention ... and the best part was, opensuse
5 > was across from us with nothing to show but free hats ... so bad when we
6 > snipe their tech demos and get the credit ;x
7
8 Yea, people loved the spinning cube.
9
10 > - quad g5 ppc64 running e17 and burning livecds for people on the fly (by far
11 > the i686/installer was the most popular but amd64 was pretty strong too ...
12 > we gave away prob like 8 ppc and 4 ppc64 cds)
13
14 It would probably be good to bring a crapload of livecds with us next
15 time, maybe the ones from cafepress so they look all cool? And CD
16 sleeves/cases would be awesome so people don't have to just throw them
17 in their bag.
18
19 > - lots of interest in kickstart-like features in our installer ... people want
20 > to throw install media into a fresh box, boot it, and come back later and
21 > have it be done/usuable
22
23 A lot of people love the installer and said they have been looking
24 forward to it. I was surprised how many people were into it.
25
26 > - devs need to make personal Gentoo business cards cause when people ask for
27 > *your* card, you look retarded when you say you have none (i know i felt
28 > retarded ;x) ... some just want a generic Gentoo business card and the ones
29 > we had were great, but when you get into real conversations, the guy wants to
30 > follow up later with *you*
31
32 Yea, I felt like an idiot too and will be making some for the next event
33 I go to. Could someone send me that Gentoo business card template?
34
35 > - in general, we had a pretty strong showing; in devs (i lub you all), in
36 > users, and in people who had heard of us but were interested in learing more
37 > or why we were "better" than say Ubuntu/Fedora/etc... (their words ... it's
38 > best imo if you take the approach of how our distro *differs* rather than
39 > falling into how we're "better" than others ... it's up to the user to figure
40 > out which distro is better *for them*)
41
42 No one really seems to know how we worked, and were surprised that we
43 are entirely volunteer based and don't get paid. They seemed to respect
44 us even more once they heard about that. The people that walked up to us
45 and just told us, "You guys rock!" were awesome too :)
48 Just my two cents, :)
51 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting qa toolchain x86)
52 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
53 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
54 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
55 http://www.halcy0n.com