From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global USE flag "neon" for ARM NEON optimization(s)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 09:27:26
1 Samuli Suominen posted on Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:03:41 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > i'll add USE=neon to use.desc and punt the local descriptions if nobody
4 > objects
5 >
6 > media-libs/libpng: support ARM NEON cpu instruction set
7 > media-libs/vo-aacenc: Enable neon cpu instructions
8 > media-video/ffmpeg: Enables NEON optimizations for arm processors.
9 > media-video/libav: Enable NEON optimizations for arm processors.
10 > media-video/vlc: Enables NEON optimizations for arm processors.
11 > x11-libs/pixman: Enables NEON optimizations for ARM processors.
12
13 For users not familiar with the ARM arch, neon is arguably more likely to
14 be associated with net-libs/neon. Certainly that's what I would have
15 immediately thought, tho my only familiarity with the library is as a
16 dependency that IIRC used to trigger lots of subversion rebuilds, etc
17 (now days I don't even have subversion on the system, it's all git, but
18 according to equery d, neon is still required by musicbrainz).
19
20 As such, to avoid confusion I'd suggest arch-neon or arm-neon (or armneon/
21 archneon) if it's to be a global flag.
22
23 YMMV...
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman