From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global USE flag "neon" for ARM NEON optimization(s)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 09:27:26
Samuli Suominen posted on Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:03:41 +0200 as excerpted:

> i'll add USE=neon to use.desc and punt the local descriptions if nobody > objects > > media-libs/libpng: support ARM NEON cpu instruction set > media-libs/vo-aacenc: Enable neon cpu instructions > media-video/ffmpeg: Enables NEON optimizations for arm processors. > media-video/libav: Enable NEON optimizations for arm processors. > media-video/vlc: Enables NEON optimizations for arm processors. > x11-libs/pixman: Enables NEON optimizations for ARM processors.
For users not familiar with the ARM arch, neon is arguably more likely to be associated with net-libs/neon. Certainly that's what I would have immediately thought, tho my only familiarity with the library is as a dependency that IIRC used to trigger lots of subversion rebuilds, etc (now days I don't even have subversion on the system, it's all git, but according to equery d, neon is still required by musicbrainz). As such, to avoid confusion I'd suggest arch-neon or arm-neon (or armneon/ archneon) if it's to be a global flag. YMMV... -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman