From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:56:14
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > It is my understanding all the options need to be specified every time
5 > dracut
6 > is run to create an initramfs. If this becomes mandatory, will this be
7 > added
8 > to the "make" script of the kernel-sources and as such, make this more
9 > specific?
12 There are no plans to make dracut mandatory, unless you're putting root on
13 lvm or luks or something, and a good initramfs is already needed for that.
14
15 I think /etc/dracut.conf already has just about anything you'd want to be
16 persistent across runs.
20 > Another issue arrises where some of the tools are updated that are also in
21 > the
22 > initramfs. Will we then still need to remember to also update the initramfs
23 > if
24 > these are needed?
27 Potentially - if the tools in the initramfs won't work. That seems unlikely
28 though - on-disk formats don't really change much and all stuff like mdadm
29 and lvm tools do is find stuff and pass it along to the kernel which does
30 the real work. If you migrate your root from raid1 to raid17 and the old
31 initramfs doesn't understand raid17 then you'll have a problem. I imagine
32 that if you migrate to raid17, however, you'd have put some thought into
33 this.
37 > My server currently uses mdadm raid1 for /, /boot and swap and raid1+lvm
38 > for
39 > the rest. This works without the need of an initramfs.
40 >
41 > Will this still work? Or will I need to be using dracut instead?
44 I suspect that if /usr is on raid1+lvm that you might need dracut. I'm not
45 100% sure on that, since in theory the initramfs can find all it needs on
46 root in this case. However, the goal was to keep it simple. I'd defer to
47 somebody actually involved with the simple image.
48
49 Rich