From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:57:29
On 06/27/2010 01:47 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> schrieb: > >> Did it actually occur to anyone that warnings are not errors? You can >> have them for correct code. A warning means you might want to look at >> the code to check whether there's some real error there. It doesn't >> mean the code is broken. > > In my personal experience, most times a warning comes it, the > code *is* broken (but *might* work in most situations).
That's the key to it: most times. Granted, without -Wall (or any other options that tweaks the default warning level) we can be very sure that the warning is the result of a mistake by the developer. But with -Wall, many warnings are totally not interesting ("unused parameter") and some even try to outsmart the programmer even though he/she knows better ("taking address of variable declared register"). In that last example, fixing it would even be wrong when you consider the optimizer and the fuzzy meaning of "register" which the compiler is totally free to ignore.