From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:57:29
1 On 06/27/2010 01:47 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > * Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> schrieb:
3 >
4 >> Did it actually occur to anyone that warnings are not errors? You can
5 >> have them for correct code. A warning means you might want to look at
6 >> the code to check whether there's some real error there. It doesn't
7 >> mean the code is broken.
8 >
9 > In my personal experience, most times a warning comes it, the
10 > code *is* broken (but *might* work in most situations).
11
12 That's the key to it: most times. Granted, without -Wall (or any other
13 options that tweaks the default warning level) we can be very sure that
14 the warning is the result of a mistake by the developer. But with
15 -Wall, many warnings are totally not interesting ("unused parameter")
16 and some even try to outsmart the programmer even though he/she knows
17 better ("taking address of variable declared register"). In that last
18 example, fixing it would even be wrong when you consider the optimizer
19 and the fuzzy meaning of "register" which the compiler is totally free
20 to ignore.